Tuesday, December 14, 2010

SERGEANT!



There she be...I called her Sergeant...G.I Jane baby! The last 3 letters of the license plate are SGT, it was only fitting.

I agonized over what I should do for a vehicle for quite a while after it got totalled. You can breifly read about that HERE if you want the background story.

In the end, ICBC ended up rewarding me with a whopping $1200 for her. On the bright side, I did make $500 on the car considering I only baught it for $700!

After countlessly contemplated not getting a car, I realized that I am way too lazy to walk the 20 minutes to the grocery store, suck it up and bike to work and/or hitchhike my way up the mountain (especially in these winter months). With all that said, I decided to buy one.

Then it came down to buying another old one or go for a newer one? Well, I applied for a line of credit and got it. However, having never really had debt in my life I was a little concerned about having one. But, knowing I have to drive the Sea to Sky highway every so often left me feeling as though I needed something reliable. Plus, I wanted a car I could take road tripping and more importantly, something that would hopefully last me a long time.

In the end, I found a great deal on craigslist for this bad girl and I jumped on it. Having a car salesman as a client helped as well. I got a killer of a deal for a used 2005 car with only 65,000km on it. It took me a few days to get over the fact that I had such a nice vehicle. I couldnt help but feel like I was selling out. I live pretty frivolously but here I am spending all this money on a car. However, I know this thing will bring me much freedom and memories. I'm pretty sure that if I fold the seats down I could manage to sleep in it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The days have been a little rainy and muggy but I am still managing to get out the door and get my runs in. These aren't even training runs as I am not training for anything- besides life. hey are fun runs where I go where I want, for however long I want.

As for next year, I have decided I am not going to race anywhere I can't get to by car. Over the past few years I have spent all of my money on trips, mostly running trips. I have had a ton of fun in the process but I'd like to take this year to enjoy everything around me because it's just so damn beautiful. I had contemplated heading over to one of the montrail ultra cup races to try and get a spot for western again (bandura, ice age) but when its all said and done, its just way too much money, especially for ONE race. There are so many other hidden gems out there that are local and easier on the pocket.

I am pretty stoked for the next few weeks. Lots of time will be spent with family and friends. I'm heading up to Mt. Baker this weekend and then over to Whistler for 4 days with Peters family. Hopefully my legs can handle all this skiing! Then it's back to North Van for Christmas Eve/Christmas day dinners with the Gilders! Can't wait.

See you in the trails!

1 comment:

wiglebot said...

Yea there is nothing like driving and camping, then running, climbing or kayaking.
A decent car is a big help.