Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TODAY


(The Tenderfoot boogie crew from Sunday, The dog was jumping at me that is why I am lookin' kinda funny)

As I was delightfully hiking up the Chief today, I couldn't help but think about how nice it would be to simply lay down and be one with the rock, once I got to the top. Yogi's often put there heads down to their mats (which I can't even do from a seated position!) after their practice as if to be kissing the earth. Well, kissing my mat isn't really my thing but I thought that laying down atop the Chief would be my way of being one with the universe. It would represent being and living in the now and enjoying the peaceful calm and quietness that exists up there.

However, to my surprise, there was another guy laying down on the top! I told him he had stolen my idea and then I joined him in silence, just laying, smiling, breathing and enjoying. This guy was in jeans and was just taking a simple break from work. I know that because he eventually got up and said "well, better get back to work". The weather had forcasted rain and I awoke to sunny skies and this hike called my name. By the time I got to the top it was snowing, however, ever so faintly, as if the snow were cotton floating around in the sky.

Another thing we talked about in my Yoga class yesterday was simply being in the now. It is surprising how hard that is to do. Even as I was descending the Chief, I found my thoughts lingering away onto all the other things I had to do today. I consciously had to stop myself and simply try and focus on what I was doing...now.

So, here is to living in the NOW! Taking each day, one at a time because that is all we really have. As the saying goes, tomorrow is promised to no one! Which kind of creeps me out because I'd like to think everyone will wake up and get to see tomorrow.

See you in the trails!

No comments: